Colorado car accident: 5 reasons to get a personal injury attorney
Although unfortunate, a car accident can happen to anyone. Immediately after a car crash, you have a few legal responsibilities as a driver. For instance, you should call 911 for medical assistance and inform the local law enforcement agency. It is also advisable to inform your insurer at the earliest. Colorado is an at-fault state, which means that the driver responsible for the crash is liable for your losses. However, it is no secret that insurance companies rarely offer a fair settlement. You need to hire a personal injury attorney in Colorado for your case, and if you have your apprehensions, here are five reasons to consider.
- Because you were at fault. If you had a share in fault, you could only sue the other driver when your fault share is not more than theirs. Colorado follows a modified comparative fault rule, and your fault percentage will determine the final settlement. Insurance companies will try to use this against you. If you don’t want to settle for less, get a lawyer on your side.
- Because you don’t need to deal with the insurance company directly. Claims adjusters often harass claimants for statements and settlements. The insurance company may put subtle pressure on you to accept their offer, and given that you are already reeling under financial distress, you may end up agreeing to that. Get an attorney so that you don’t have to deal with all that. Lawyers are capable of negotiating a fair settlement.
- Because it doesn’t cost anything right away. Almost all injury attorneys in Colorado charge a contingency fee for their cases, including auto accident lawsuits. You don’t have to pay the lawyer if you don’t make a recovery. In other words, availing legal expertise or getting an assessment of your case is easy and free.
- Because you sustained serious injuries. The settlements for personal injury lawsuits are dependent on many factors, but you should get a much higher amount if you have sustained serious injuries. Let an injury attorney evaluate the worth of your claim and negotiate accordingly.
- Because there were many parties at fault. If multiple parties were at fault, it could be hard to find liability. For such accident cases, hiring a lawyer is even more important. You can expect the attorney to initiate an investigation and gather evidence for your lawsuit.
Check online for injury attorney reviews and call for an appointment at the earliest.