Comparison Between Lead Acid Battery And Alkaline Battery
In warehouses and factories, as everyone knows, a large amount of work, loads of various weight categories, often without lifting equipment, such as forklifts or stackers, simply cannot be done. This technique works thanks to traction batteries, it is worth noting that traction batteries are divided into several of the most famous types – acid, alkaline and lithium-ion. However, today we will analyze the difference between alkaline battery and lead acid battery.
To begin with, we will analyze the device of each of the presented batteries.
Acid battery device. The first thing you should pay attention to is that the traction acid battery usually consists of two groups of lead plates, which in their appearance resemble a grid, while the plates themselves are placed in sulfuric acid.
Now consider the alkaline battery device. In this type, nickel or iron plates are mainly used, which are placed in a solution of caustic potassium. The plates are made of nickel-plated iron, with a large number of holes. An alkali solution acts as an electrolyte in alkaline traction batteries.
visit here for more info about Cool Animals
One of the important factors in comparing the two above batteries is load tolerance.
In this matter, it is worth highlighting the acid type of batteries separately, since the voltage of one battery is 2 V., while alkaline batteries have only 1.25 V. (Do not forget that the battery consists of batteries. Battery models can consist of a different number of batteries , which are most often found in the range from 6 to 48 pieces.)
But at the same time, at high negative temperatures, alkaline batteries retain their properties much better than acid ones. The preservation of these properties largely depends on the proper maintenance of the battery, as well as the necessary high-quality recharging. We inform you that the charger for alkaline batteries is quite expensive. In order for the charger to work much longer, you need to remember that alkaline batteries should not be brought to a deep discharge and charge, everything should be in moderation.
Next, let’s talk about one of the main criteria in comparing alkaline and acid batteries – service life !
In this matter, preference can easily be given to alkaline types of batteries. As we said earlier, alkaline types retain their properties and characteristics more efficiently than acid types during long downtime. The resistance of nickel-iron plates of an alkaline battery is much better than that of an acid battery, in which the plates are more fragile, since they are made of lead with antimony additives. Due to this, they are prone to brittleness, respectively, acid types of batteries should be treated with care.
It is also impossible to ignore the moments for caring for each type of battery.
First, let’s take a look at acid batteries:
- In no case should you leave a discharged battery for more than a day. If, however, it is planned to be idle, then during further storage of the battery, the following must be done – the battery should be discharged a little, then the old electrolyte should be drained and, preferably, the plates should be washed with distilled water.
- The battery charge should not fall below 1.8 V.
- The battery is charged with open banks, until the electrolyte begins to boil equally in each.
- If your charged battery has been in an inert state for some time, then after a while it should be recharged.
Key points for the operation of alkaline batteries:
- When charging an alkaline battery, the covers must always be removed in order to prevent overheating and, as a result, destruction of the battery. Accordingly, after a full charge, they need to be put in place.
- The battery charge should not fall below 1.1 V.
- After each year during operation, it is necessary to refill the electrolyte, and during the year add distilled water.
- If the charged battery has been in an inert state for some time, then after a while it must be recharged.
And most importantly, what most battery users pay attention to is pricing policy.
In this matter, preference is given to acid types of batteries due to their low cost. You can even take into account the factor that they are much better able to tolerate strong discharge and, accordingly, charging from scratch. Therefore, they do not need special or special charges, but the most ordinary and cheap ones will do.
If your production does not stand still, and accordingly, you carry out battery maintenance on a regular basis, then an acid battery will definitely suit you. If, nevertheless, downtime occurs in production, and the battery is not serviced regularly, then it is better to purchase an alkaline battery!